You can make this summer a comfortable one by using your air conditioner more efficiently, reducing its workload, and cooling down your home with these tips. Along with the assistance of your HVAC contractor, you can enjoy an Arizona summer that doesn't break the bank or make you sweat.
- Maintain your air conditioner. One of the most important things you can do for your HVAC equipment is to keep it in good condition. Have your air conditioning company service your AC unit at least once per year for a tune-up. Regular maintenance preserves the efficiency of your air conditioner and can help you avoid potential problems down the road.
- Change your air filter. At least once per month, check the condition of your air filter. Arizona’s dusty climate causes the air filters inside your home to get dirty quicker and may need to be changed every month. Even if it has been less than a month, replace your filter when it is too dark for light to pass through it.
- Take advantage of your ceiling fans. Using a ceiling fan in occupied rooms can help them feel up to six degrees cooler. This will enable you to set your thermostat higher, which saves energy.
- Reduce the load on your AC unit. Plant trees around your home, close your drapes, and turn off heat-producing appliances during the day. By keeping your home generally cooler, your air conditioner will not have to expend as much energy.
- Use your thermostat wisely. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher when you're not at home or when you're sleeping. This can save about eight percent on your monthly cooling bill. Invest in a programmable thermostat if you haven't already, which can further improve your savings.
- Take a cool drink. Cooling your body is just as important as cooling your home. When you come in from a hot day, consider a cool shower or a tall glass of water before reaching for the thermostat.
For more great energy-saving and heat-beating tips, contact Hamstra Heating & Cooling, Inc. at (520) 629-9833. You can also visit our website to learn about our range of HVAC maintenance, repair, and installation services.